Mississippi Valley Conservancy fully accredited
Ongoing process ensures quality, accountability
In February 2012, the Land Trust Accreditation Commission, an independent program of the Land Trust Alliance, announced that we had been awarded accredited status.
“Accredited land trusts meet national quality standards for protecting important natural places and working lands forever,” said Commission Executive Director Tammara Van Ryn. “The accreditation seal lets the public know that the accredited land trust has undergone an extensive, external review of the governance and management of its organization and the systems and policies it uses to protect land.”
“Mississippi Valley Conservancy’s accredited status demonstrates our commitment to permanent land conservation,” says past board president George Kerckhove. “Our land trust is a stronger organization today having gone through the accreditation program.”
“Achieving accreditation was a lengthy and rigorous process, but we are glad we undertook the journey,” said former executive director Tim Jacobson. “It was very helpful to have national land trust experts provide an outside perspective in scrutinizing numerous aspects of our policies and operations. We felt that we owed it to the landowners we work with and our other supporters to go through this process.”
Our achievements as an accredited land trust are further exemplified by the state’s Land Trust of the Year award in 2008. We were recognized for our work in conserving more than 3,000 acres of western Wisconsin land in 2007, along with many other accomplishments in preceding years.
We have also been recognized for our conservation leadership through the following achievement awards:
- La Crosse County Conservation Alliance—Conservation Organization of the Year 2016
- Regional Emmy for Topical Documentary, Mysteries of the Driftless—2013–2014
- ClearMark Award of Distinction 2013
- Communicator Award of Distinction 2013
- National Land Trust Accreditation 2012
- Friend of Conservation – Outstanding Organization—Wisconsin 2009
- Conservation Organization of the Year—La Crosse County 2008
- Land Trust of the Year—Wisconsin 2008